Thursday 22 November 2007

New year, new OS?

For:
  • It looks pretty
  • The Beta version I had before XP ran ok, and its improved since then.
  • I can have more then 3.5GBs of RAM
  • and DirectX 10 graphics.
  • I'm going to have to get used to it's new layout and style because: its the future.
  • I know my hardware will work with it, because Ive used it before (apart from my wireless dongle which I don't think will work with it, but their cheap)
  • SP1 is nearly here
  • It actually works, Ive used it on Jam's PC, hes had for about 2 months now, and it hasn't gone horribly wrong.
  • I don't have to buy it, cos the university gave it too me for free and legal!
  • I can show off.
  • It has Mahjong, which makes me feel warm inside.
Against:
  • It asks for admin privileges every time you change any settings or install anything
  • It makes annoying sounds.
  • XP runs fine with 2GB of RAM, so do I really need 4GB if I'm not going to run Vista anyway?
  • Vista might work with 2GB RAM, but I'm not sure, so Id probably have to buy more RAM which is an extra expense. But I get a free copy of Vista, so that's the only cost.
  • I will probably have to wipe my PC and reinstall everything.
  • Something might not work with it.
  • It uses up a lot of RAM, so some games may go slower.
  • Do I really need DirectX 10? I find it very hard to see any actual difference, except smoke and water look a bit better. And although I wouldn't be using the DX10, a new graphics card on XP would still give a massive performance boost, which is what I need.
  • It takes up more room on my hard disk then XP does.
  • Its still not as tried and tested as XP, so I may still find software I need doesn't work.
  • My wireless dongle won't work with it (but their cheap and I got Jam one that does support Vista so I know where I can get one).
  • No IE6 or Media Player 9, I would be forced into having IE7 and MP11, which are both total wank! (but not a big problem, since I use Firefox and VLC now anyway)
  • I'm not nearly as familiar with it as XP, so if something goes wrong, will I be able to fix it as easily? (Although, this could be seen as a plus because it means I get to learn to fix Vista)
Conclusion:
At the moment, I think I'm going to keep my university copy of Vista Business, but not install it, and wait, until I'm sure. Because at the moment, I think Vista is mostly vanity, there is no real underlying need for it, and its new demands on my system and my brain don't sound appealing at the moment. But I'm pretty sure some day Ill have to use it, probably on my next PC.

No comments: